Want to learn how crowns are a great cosmetic and restorative procedure?
One of the best ways to cover up teeth that have undergone restorative procedures is through crowns. Your dentists at Braintree, MA, doctors can provide a dental crown to protect damaged teeth or improve its appearance.
During restorative procedures, such as root canals, a significant amount of natural tooth is removed. This leaves the tooth susceptible to breakage, which is why a dental crown is placed over the tooth. The dental crown reinforces the tooth and allows it to withstand various degrees of pressure, meaning you can enjoy eating without the worry of ruining your tooth.
More About Using Crowns
Crowns are cap-like porcelain dental restorations. To create them, your Braintree dentist takes an impression of your teeth and sends them to a lab where custom crowns are made just for you. In the meantime, you'll be given a temporary crown.
Crowns are used for attaching bridges, covering dental implants, covering an existing filling that may be dislocated, covering stained or discolored teeth.
Caring For Crowns
Dental hygiene is crucial for maintaining crowns and your overall oral health:
- Visit your dentist for bi-annual dental appointments to maintain your oral health
- Use fluoride-containing products like toothpastes and mouthwash
- Eat fruits and vegetables that'll help avoid cavities
- Brush your teeth twice a day by spending two full minutes brushing your teeth and tilting your brush at a 45-degree angle to ensure that you remove as much food debris as possible
- Avoid eating hard candies and sugary food
- Floss your teeth before bed to preserve your crowns and natural teeth
- Drink plenty of water to remove food debris
For more information on dental crowns and what they can do for you, contact your Braintree, MA, dentists by calling (781) 843-0660.