Gum disease is a dental ailment that affects almost half of all Americans to some degree. Lack of regular dental care and failure to keep appointments with the dentist make a patient more susceptible to this condition. It’s important that you don’t ignore the signs of gum disease—immediate periodontal treatment by a Braintree, MA dentist at Dr. George Salem and Associates, PC is crucial to saving your teeth.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is an infection that weakens the gums and the teeth that are supported by them. It happens progressively over a number of years—bad bacterium grows around the gumline and eventually attacks the bone tissue. The types of gum disease are:
- Gingivitis (mild inflammation of the gums that can easily be reversed in most cases with prompt treatment).
- Periodontitis (a more advanced form of gum disease that can lead to tooth loss and requires aggressive treatment).
Signs That Shouldn’t Be Ignored
The key to treating any form of gum disease is catching it as early as possible. There are a few important signs of gum disease that you should pay attention to and discuss with your Braintree dentist as soon as possible:
- Gums bleed frequently when you brush your teeth.
- Gums look red and are sensitive to the touch.
- Pockets appearing around the teeth (gums separating from the enamel).
- Bad breath and sour taste in the mouth throughout the day.
Getting the Help That You Need
The symptoms of gum disease can be stopped by a periodontist. It is possible to save your teeth, even in the advanced stages. The first step is usually an appointment for a scaling and root planning, which is a very deep cleaning of the gumline. If more help is needed, periodontal surgery or laser treatment can be performed to clear the gums of bad tissue and allow new healthy tissue to grow. Bone grafting may also be used to replace and strengthen the bone tissue.
Call for an Exam
The first step to resolving an issue with gum disease is to visit your dentist for a cleaning and checkup appointment. Call a Braintree dentist at Dr. George Salem and Associates, PC at (781) 843-0660 today.